Thursday 15 November 2012

Do we really need double beds within our Maternity Wards....

Okay, so on my Facebook Page I discussed that for ''many reasons'' I thought that this was a bad idea.

The Proposition:
The NHS want to spent so many million on introducing double beds into maternity wards so that Fathers can play a more active role in parenting the newborn child and helping support the Mother.

Please be reminded these are MY views and opinions.





Pros:

1) If the Mother has a traumatic delivery, or in my case a hospital phobia then they can be around and support her & foresee her medical treatment and make sure that they are not subject to any mistreatment.

2) Some Fathers need help in offering the right level of support to their partner once she is home from the hospital. This would be especially useful for the first time parents. It's all fair and well teaching the Mama in hospital about changing nappies & Bathing the baby for instance, but what about Dad? Doesn't he need to learn this too?




Cons: 
1) I know for a fact that some Mama's prefer to be in hospital to get a ''break'' after the birth of their baby. There will be some Mama's preferring to be alone with her new baby, perhaps she has other children at home and Dad has to take care of them etc.

2) I am going to address the point for the #2 in Pros. If they spent the money on real parenting classes then there would be no need to teach them the basics of parenthood after delivery.

3) As any Mama will know she is exhausted after the birth (especially if you're chronically ill as I am) and there will be a Dad or two who will perhaps try and force the Mama into making the most of the double bed... I am sure I don't need to spell it out to you?

4) Why not use this money to keep Maternity wards open, employ much needed Midwives, Increasing beds and equipment for SCUBU's (Special Baby Care Units for Premature Babies) & Breast-feeding consultants on hand to help with Breast-feeding. I have, thankfully never had a Premature baby, but I know that usually the sicker the baby is they will be transferred to another, ''better equip'' hospital with more staff on hand. The NHS midwives are under a LOT of stress and pressure, surely it makes sense to use that money to employ more midwives - maybe this will stop women giving birth in hospital car parks, at the side of the road and even in Maternity ward waiting rooms.

5) How secure and embarrassed will you feel if you have to go to the toilet down the corridor at night and your pad is leaking down your leg as men are roaming the corridor? (This good, valid point was pointed out by a member on my page). And I feel it necessary to add, will the hospital be asking for proof of ID and checking them against some sort of sex offenders register?


I make it no secret that I will never labour or give birth in a hospital. I have never felt safe in a hospital, I had a very traumatic birth in 2004 and I will never submit myself to unnecessary interventions and interruptions. I rather be in my own home, welcoming my baby into their home, sleeping in my bed and not being hooked up to continual monitoring, with drips in my hand and all the other crazy things they make you suffer in hospital. I, of course know that some women have to give birth in hospital, especially those who really are ''high risk'' but I also realize and are well aware that many women do NOT fall into this category.

These are my thoughts & opinions on this whole ''we need double beds to help Dad's bond'' rubbish that's been in the papers and on the news this week.

Mrs Proud.

1 comment:

  1. well i like the way you have written this blog. i am really amazed to see such kind of work.
    Bed Store Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete